Chase No Face on Facebook

Friday, February 27, 2009

New Q & A Comment

I received this comment and would like to comment:
Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Q & A":


I love cats, I absolutely do and I don't think it's wrong to rescue them, but when it comes to THIS - no. A cat shouldn't be healthy becaus of medicine, it should be healthy without it ): I'm sure you're taking good care of Chase, but still... wrong ):
He can eat by himself though? And how is the skin really in his face? And the "nose"? o_O I'm still very curious about him though.


Well take care :)


COMMENT RESPONSE:
I appreciate your concern for Chase. The medication is a maintenance for her eyes, just as some humans have insulin they must take to maintain their blood sugar. The bones that were her nose were broken so badly in the accident that she does not have them. That is why her face appears flat and her nose is no longer pointy like a "normal" cat. She does everything my other cat does (eat dry cat food, play, find and chew on crickets and other bugs) except blink. That is the one thing that she will never be able to do. I don't think that is a good enough reason for me to put her down when not being able to blink is not a serious health issue. 

We try to find people to visit as a pet therapy animal to help them understand that just because Chase or other humans may have health disabilities or look different that they should not be judged harsher. It is OK to be different and many many people are special in their own way. It is always ok if you do not look just like what you see on the cover of Vogue or Cat Fancy (: . 

Thank you for your concern and take care knowing Chase really is a well adjusted and a happy cat. The not blinking thing I am sure might be annoying if she knew any different. The accident happened when she was 6 weeks old and she is know almost 4 years old and is very well adjusted.


Best Wishes
Chase's Mom

14 comments:

Jans Funny Farm said...

Chase is an inspiration. We're sure it helps humans to know that looking different doesn't have to isolate you.

Daisy said...

It's clear that Chase is happy and well-loved, and she has as much right to live a happy life as anyone else.

I love you, Chase!

Annette Tait said...

Chase is a beautiful cat - beauty, happiness and love come from within.

Sometimes medication is needed to control the outside or inside of sentient beings, so that they may live as comfortable a life as possible.

I have rescue-rabbit house bunnies and they have had (very) bad starts to life - but it is from love and care that they have prospered.

They were at the rescue centres for a long time because their outward appearance was not deemed attractive enough for them to be rehomed immediately.
(Thank goodness - so glad I have both of them!!)

love and happiness conquers all

Anonymous said...

Chase is a very beautiful cat with what appears to be a very loving and playful nature.

Society is all to focused on the 'perfect' being. We are NOT perfect. Nor will we ever be. I would rather have people and animals around me with wonderful personalities, rather that 'societal perfect' looks and ugly demeanors. Life is not about judging those who appear less fortunate than others. It's about looking into others eyes, and accepting, warts and all. We are all richer than someone else, and less fortunate than another also.

Chases Mum, I mean the following comment with no disrespect to you. People may say you are wonderful and special for keeping an animal like Chase. I disagree. I say that you are simply doing what is right and just in the world. It is unfortunate that we look at people like you as the exception. You should be the rule!

But as a side note, I think you are pretty awesome. I love this blog. The photos, the updates, the humour, and the humility of it all. Keep up the great work.

Love each other unconditionally people. You never know what's around the corner.

Marina xo:)
(Australia)

Anonymous said...

Cheers to Chase's Mom for living what she speaks! When I read this comment I was ready to explode at the person's ignorance and closed-mindedness. Yet her response was just what she and Chase want everyone to be- nonjudgmental and accepting.

Thank Goddess for people like Chase's mom. We can all learn from them.

TLSinNC said...

Having had the wonderful opportunity to know Chase in "person", I can say from experience that she is one of the sweetest, calmest, most loving cats in the world. She is not in pain, and acts like any other cat. She is such a doll, and the world is a better place with her here. Sending lots of love to you Chasey!!

Anonymous said...

From what I've read on the blog, Chase's mom had worked at a vet clinic, and would know very well when an animal needs to be put down due to pain and suffering. And clearly she loves Chase enough to know if she was suffering. But it's clear from the pictures that Chase is one happy, well-adjusted and rather playful kitty!

I agree with the above poster who said that you are doing what is right, and what everyone should do.

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else here...all you have to do is to look at the videos of Chase posted here and you can see for yourself that she is indeed happy, well adjusted and not in any discomfort or pain. Just because she's not as "pleasing to the eye" as other cats doesn't mean that she should be deprived of the love and joyous life that she so richly deserves. I'm sorry, but the idea of someone suggesting to put her down because of her appearance reeks of same intolerance that the Nazis displayed in WWII..they had a policy of "acceptable euthanasia" when it came to those they considered less than perfect, murdering without hesitation the mentally challenged, the blind, the crippled and those whose "racial differences" went against what they considered acceptable.Chase is entitled to every single bit of the happiness and love she receives, and if the person who posted this comment doesn't find her appearance to their liking, that's their loss.

Anonymous said...

Chase is beautiful, sweet, adorable, perfect, and deserving of a great life. I'm happy to see she she is treated so well.

Pete said...

Chase is so sweet, and it's clear that her owners absolutely adore her. I am so happy she's healed and loved. Please give her a hug for me! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, so I have to take daily medicine for my thyroid and insulin resistance...should my husband put me to sleep? Chase looks like he's purrfectly happy!

Tae_Ki_Girl said...

What an awful idea, that Chase should have been put down because of her deformity. Putting to sleep is something you do because the animal is suffering, not because s/he isn't perfect look (and maybe has to take a medicine.) Imagine how many animals - and people! - would have to be put to sleep simply because they're on medication!
Chase, keep on chasing the bugs and snuggling under blankets sweety.
Chase's mum, good for you. You seem like a great person, and I'm sure your fur babies are happily loving life with you.

LilCatFan said...

When my brother told me about Chase I didn't know what to think, so after school I came home and looked up this blog. :) Chase is a wonderful cat, and it's obvious how much she's getting from life! The internet is full of people complaining about life and their problems, and from what I've read they don't have nearly as much to complain about as Chase could! But she is undeniably happy with her life, and I think it's beautiful that she has been an inspiration to so many people. :D Yay for happy blogs! ^^

Forty Arcminutes said...

Old post, but the questioner needs a slap in the face. Claws out or in? Let me think.

Do you think that a cat who can't live without daily medication shouldn't live at all? What about diabetic humans who need insulin every day, or people with IBS who can control their disease with daily pills, or people with heart conditions who carry nitroglycerine? Should they all be euthanized rather than relying on medicine?

Medical science is wonderful because it makes more people and animals able to live longer lives without suffering. You're lucky that you or your loved ones have never had chronic illnesses or disabilities that have required such treatment. If they had, you would already know the answer to your question.